Multi Media University College of Kenya (MMU) signs MOU with Zurich University of Applied Sciences
On Monday 20th February, 2012, the Multimedia University of Kenya (MMU) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Zurich University of Applied Sciences aimed at seeking a closer partnership with the global community. The ceremony was attended by the Chairman of the Council Hon. Mutahi Kagwe EGH, who took the opportunity to welcome the team from Zurich University of Applied Sciences to MMU and to our country. The team from Zurich University was led by their Managing Director Dr Guido Keel. The Chairman of the Council expressed his excitement about the planned collaboration and partnership, reaffirming that MMU is a futuristic university and is hence looking for partners like Zurich University of Applied Sciences with the desire of exchanging research information, and exposing out staff and students to the latest trends in the academic arena.
In response, Dr. Guido Keel, Managing of Director-Zurich University praised MMU leadership of taking the bold initiative of seeking to link up with the international community. He felt privileged to be part of this partnership which is an example of North-South collaboration.
On his part, the host and Principal of MMU Prof. Walter O. Oyawa expressed his excitement that the MOU is being signed just a few months since his appointment as Principal of MMU, and is hence a pointer of things to come in the near future. Noting that MMU was established to spearhead ICT growth in the region, he indicated that the MOU will be a living document that facilitates the sharing of experiences in modern technologies and partnership for mutual benefit. The Principal reminded the Deans of relevant Faculties that they were true implementers of the MOU, and looked forward to the establishment of a Centre for Applied Journalism and Communications at MMU with the support of Zurich University of Applied Sciences.
In summary, the memorandum of understanding is intended to set out an arrangement for the Establishment of a Research Center at the Multimedia University of Kenya (MMU) whose aim will be the promotion of Applied Journalism and Communication Research and Training in Kenya and in the wider East African Region. MMU is desirous of establishing a center for applied journalism and communication research and training by strategically working with IAM-Institute of Applied Media Studies, a Department of Zurich University through mutual collaboration in relevant projects.
The areas of collaboration will include:
1. Facilitating the process of establishing a Center for applied journalism and communication research and training within MMU.
2. Joint application for and conducting of applied journalism and communication research and training projects
3. Developing curricula in journalism and communication research, training and quality assessment
4. Teaching and training for MMU and IAM students
5. Conducting joint fundraising activities.
6. Networking and liaising with partners, other research institutions and researchers in Kenya, East Africa, Switzerland, Europe and beyond.
7. Conducting workshops, symposia and conferences with governments, media industry, media NGOs and other relevant stakeholders on topics of applied journalism and communication research and practice.
8. Sourcing of financial and other support for MMU in the acquisition of research and training equipment